Skip to main content

The Power of Poetry and Lorna Crozier


Poetry is making a long overdue comeback, even if it is only in my life, my eyes, my important circle in this world. And, I choose to include the poetry of Lorna Crozier in that circle. Her recent book The Blue Hour of the Day rests on my bedside table and has been of great comfort and inspiration to me since Christmas when I received it as a gift.

The gift of poetry. The power of poetry. If I could send Lorna Crozier a message it would be that I value her poetry. She once wrote in ‘Who’s Listening?’ published in the NeWest Review in February/March 1989 that even she needs “to be reminded that poetry somewhere has value” and she adds “I write in case someone, anyone, is listening.”

Lorna, we are listening and reading and singing too.

Last night during the Music on Main at the Cellar Jazz Club & Restaurant in Vancouver B.C., poems from The Sex Lives of Vegetables by Crozier were set to music and performed by Leslie Uyeda. This is just one of the unique ways Lorna has inspired us through her exceptional poetry. Lorna was born in 1948 in Swift Current, Saskatchewan. The biography on her own web site chronicles her work history after university, when she went on to teach English in the high school setting and work as a guidance counsellor. She began publishing her poetry during these years and soon found herself the writer-in-residence at the Cypress Hills Community College in her home town, then at the Regina Public Library and on to the University of Toronto. After serving short-term residencies at the University of Toronto, Lethbridge and at Douglas College, she now teaches and serves as Chair in the Writing Department at the University of Victoria in B.C.

Her biography goes on to say ‘In addition to leading poetry workshops across the globe, Lorna has given benefit readings for numerous organizations such as the SPCA, the BC Land Conservancy, the Victoria READ Society, and PEERS, a group committed to helping prostitutes get off the street. She has been a frequent guest on CBC radio where she once worked as a reviewer and arts show host. Wherever she reads, she raises the profile and reputation of poetry.’

Lorna is known within the Canadian writing community as a mentor of other poets and as both a generous and inspirational artist. She continues to share her passion for writing in the forthcoming issue of ROOM available mid April 2009 in which she is the featured writer.

I encourage you to explore poetry, ROOM and Lorna Crozier. It is well worth it!

Peace through poetry.

Comments

  1. I love poetry and have been writing it since I was a child. I would love to see you post some of your favs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been thinking of that also and started creating a list a little while ago...stay tuned.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Want

A wee look into my thought process... Mar 24/09 In search of wisdom and contentment, I start yet another journal - this one dedicated to truth and lies, poems and prose - me. I want My father died still in want It is spring and the land is wanting what lies beneath not wanting to be found I want In want to be larger than life Yet want to shrink away into nothingness In want of a child In want of Love To be Loved To Love I want Janet Jarrell

To Admit

So, she paints her face white Looks deep in the mirror To see if there is anything there "Am I worthy?" "I am afraid." She blesses herself To prove she is clean Then drinks back the wine and takes the bread She finally admits who she is A mystery

Words

Words live in the mind One must draw on their inner voice Requiring absolute freedom to inscribe Words, Women, Immaculate Marriage Words live in your mind Liberate them with reverence Raise your beautiful voice, dominion By Janet Jarrell Loquacious with the The NaiSaiKu Challenge If you do not tell the truth about yourself you cannot tell it about other people. Virginia Woolf